Friday, February 22, 2013

Failures are success's, right?

This week of FMQ has been hard.  I have a new machine that sews wayyyy faster the I am used to.  It causes me to try and fmq faster then I am comfy with. It's all an adjustment right now. Especially when  I am new to fmq in the first place. It's been very frustrating to watch my patterns come out so shaky and sloppy.  The good thing that comes from it all is for the first time, I did not RIP!  A breakthrough, to be honest.  My seam ripper is my most used tool and my worst enemy sometimes.

I was so  spazed out this week that I stitched concentric circles in the wrong sun ray.  I am not rippling them out!! My eye may twitch, and I might pace  a path in the sewing room carpet, but I refuse to rip!  When learning a new skill, there needs to be room for mistakes. I am moving forward knowing that I won't make the same mistakes again and I'll go into the sections calmer and focused.

PS. It was just on my practice goddess anyway. Hehe. No cuckoo signs above my head please :-)
,

I'm using much brighter colors on my main piece. 
With a calmer mind, and no hard feelings for myself.  I hope everyone is positive and kind to themselves this weekend As well!
Kelly

21 comments:

  1. WONDERFUL - your attitude and your FMQ!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is really beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am practising the exact same mindset right now, with piecing precise curves! Breathe out, this is you learning. Mistakes are ok. (repeat ad infinitum) I think giving ourselves room for mistakes is the true learning curve :) (love how your practise quilt is turning out, btw!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, every mistake is a tool for learning! It's remembering not to freak out ,that is the hard part. Lol. Good luck with the curved piecing, haven't ventured there yet.

      Delete
  4. Your goddess is looking beautiful Kelly and great job for accepting your mistakes as they are! While I love the name for your blog, I'm really trying more and more to set my seam rippers aside and just allow myself to stitch the way my hands feel like stitching that day. Sometimes it's perfect, sometimes...well you know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and the kind words! I'm learning so much from this Goddess and am so glad you are sharing it. In a few years, I will look at her and her many shaky stitches and be glad I left her alone. Assuming of course that my FMQ will be amazing then! Lol Thanks again!!

      Delete
  5. You don't NEED to rip out ANY stitches on this quilt, your FMQ looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fine! Bossy. Lol. Thanks for the encouragement :-) I'll retire my seam ripper when my fmq looks like yours!

      Delete
  6. I love your attitude. You will accomplish much and make gorgeous quilts. There are no mistakes, just learning experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your quilt is beautiful. What a great idea using white.

      Delete
  7. I love your positive attitude. I know how hard it can be not to rip. I think your Goddess is beautiful .

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm impressed! The next time I think I'm going to rip, I'll come back to your blog! I love your practice goddess. The beautiful rays really make the world pop! Nice choice of thread colors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Sun's rays are always dancing anyway! : ) Your stitching looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the new machine! Love your attitude. I agree there are no mistakes (well for those that can't be ripped) but only learning experiences. Keep up the great FMQ. I admire your work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorna! You are always a positive voice. :-)

      Delete
  11. You'll get used to and love the fastness of that machine when you are zipping through seams like a pro. Just back off your pedal a bit, and all will be well;) Your FMQ looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! That's exactly it! I have a lead foot. I really meant it when I compared this machine to a Mustang. Lol. I have been using it for piecing the last few days which is a great way to learn pedal control. Thanks for the encouragement :-)

      Delete
  12. Your FMQ looks great, and no one but you (and Leah) will ever know about the "wrong" ray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The biggest mistake is pointing out a mistake, right? Thanks for the positive words!

      Delete

I really appreciate that you have taken the time to comment. I am so inspired by this community, thank you for that as well. If you have questions {even some suggestions}, I'll be sure to get back to you.

Go sew already! :)
Kelly