Friday, February 1, 2013

FMQ Friday & Lots of it

Happy Friday!  Linking up with Leah Day, of course!   Today I have a lot on my plate, possibly more then I can chew.  I am trying out a basic trapunto on Hearts and Feathers. I had never heard of Trapunto 2 weeks ago, and I've never taken a class. I'm WINGING it!  lol  Wish me luck.


I am also searching hard for a filler design for Express Your Love. Yesterday, Leah Day posted a video and used a filler called Boomerangs.  I practiced it for a few hours, wasted a ton of thread, and never got a handle on it.  It just looked sloppy to me.  I'm going to find a different pattern that has the same "intensity" Which was Leah Day's keyword. 

Here's the best part!!  I made my own light table.   I had a little 10"x12" light tracer, and took it back yesterday. It was too small to try tracing anything, not to mention wayyyy expensive.   I went to Lowes and grabbed a piece of glass.  28"x32" for $15.  I taped the edges {they were sharp, and I have the cut to prove it}  Then I just set the glass between 2 tables, taped it down on the sides, stuck a light underneath and VOILA!

I have a flattened cardboard box with the bottom taped together, and the glass sheet slides right into it. I stored it flush against a wall behind a shelf when not in use.   It worked like a charm and was CHEAP.
They have acrylic sheets too that cost a little more, but they also have a lot more give. Too much pressure makes them bow in. The glass is a bit sturdier.

Have a Great weekend everyone!
Kelly

11 comments:

  1. LOVE LEAH DAY. Best FMQ teacher ever!! I'm still so new to it though, I just saw your express your love quilt in the post below and it's awesome! I printed out the pattern and I want to make it but it's quite a project...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should make it! If it helps this is the first thing I have ever FMQ-ed like this. I've only done a basic stiple twice before I started. It's been a great learning project. Jump right in the deep end! Lol

      Delete
  2. What a great idea for a light table!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your solution to the light table. I sure could have used this when tracing Express Your Love. I've always used a sliding glass door with the sun shining through. It is the cheapest solution, but I find the vertical orientation tiring on my tracing arm and it is dependent on a sunny day. Your light table is expensive and the horizontal orientation, particularly stationed between my two work tables at an ergonomic height, will be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I like your light table, what a clever idea. I honestly think your boomerang quilting looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great idea, but I'd be scared of that large a piece of glass. I haven't found anything that will work for me even at the smaller size of a light box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The glass is a little scary, they had acrylic that could be cut to size. It was slightly more expensive and still cheaper then an actual light box.

      Delete
  6. Sloppy? No! This looks GREAT! Keep quilting that design and it will being making more sense after filling an entire space completely. I love you light box - I built my first the exact same way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement! I may practice one more piece and stand back from it a bit to see. I also considered using Pointed Paisley in it's place. It has the similar triangle shapes, but it flowed form my machine a little easier when I practiced.

      Delete
  7. Nothing sloppy about your boomerangs, they look great. Remember, threadplay adds to the design.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea for a light table and your quilting looks good to me!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate that you have taken the time to comment. I am so inspired by this community, thank you for that as well. If you have questions {even some suggestions}, I'll be sure to get back to you.

Go sew already! :)
Kelly