Friday, March 1, 2013

FMQ Cheat

I guess it is cheating a little but I am not FMQ-ing this week...not YET anyway.  I am Dye-ing fabric to be quilted.  It counts for FMQ Friday, right? Well, I linked-up with Leah Day anyway!!! :)

I was peeking through my older copies of QuiltingArts from back before I ever quilted anything and only dreamed of having the skills to create art like the featured pieces.  I came across a piece called Daisy Chain by Jenny Rolfe that is deceptively simple and decided to make a version of it.  Her techniques were very loosely outlined, which is good because I won't be trapped into trying to make an exact copy. I can just take the basic inspiration and Fly.

I took a white wholecloth and some spritz bottles full of dye and just went nutso on it.  I used the  spritz bottle specifically because I was blending 4 colors and wanted the results to be more blended then uniform. 

I used purple around the edges with a lot of dark blue, a light spritzing of these covered the whole cloth as well.  Then towards the center I used a turquoise and lime green {Lime green shows up a lot around here}   The point was for the center to be slightly lighter then the edges. 'Slightly' being a key word here.

The greens don't quite show up in the dim garage lighting.  They will when this is dried and in the sunlight I hope :)


I'll be using paints, fabric pastels and thread to really play with colors on this. I am also cutting my own stamp to use for the flower chain down the center.  I'll post on my progress as I go.  It will either be great or an epic fail, but learning is the key here I think!

Sorry for the Many words!
Kelly



5 comments:

  1. I am curious to see how this turns out. I have played with fabric dyes a little bit, but not from a spritz bottle. I doubt that this will be any kind of fail.
    What issue of Quilting Arts did you see this? I have several older issues and would like to look to see if I have it.
    I will check back to see your progress!
    ~June in AZ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was in the April/May 2007 Issue 26. It should be fun to do a semi-recreation and hopefully make it my own. Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. Hooray for experiments! I look forward to seeing this project unfold. I'm impressed with the smooth color change and the use of the spritz bottles. I'd have thought there would be a more mottled look, or maybe a few random dark dots in a lighter area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was liberal with the dye so any spots blended quickly... I am happy with the way the bottles worked. My only problem was that it dried much lighter then I expected. I'll be dying this again to try and get a darker result. Better quality dyes would make all the difference in the world, but I was using leftovers that I already had.

      Delete
  3. I have never dyed fabric. Just too messy for my neat heart. I did digital scrapbooking for years because it wasn't as messy as the paper variety. But I tend to love the results other people get when they dye fabric. I'm looking forward to watching the progress as it happens.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate that you have taken the time to comment. I am so inspired by this community, thank you for that as well. If you have questions {even some suggestions}, I'll be sure to get back to you.

Go sew already! :)
Kelly