Monday, February 3, 2014

Basting a Quilt

Basting is such an important part of quilting, but often gets overlooked and avoided.  It is cetainly not the best job for those of us who seek a creative outlet.  The best thing to do is find what works for you and get a good basting routine so that you can just DO it, and get it done quickly and properly.

I currently use curved safety pins which make things quite a bit easier on the hands.  The pin will practically push itself right back up through the quilt and it saves a lot of time, and rippling. See the difference? The curved pin is on the left.











I try to place my pins about 4 inches from each other across the surface of the quilt top, but for the project I am working on today, I am going closer at about 2-3 inches apart. The fabric is Flirt by Sandy Gervais and it is so silky smooth that even after a good starch is likes to move a bit on me.
Basting


I won this fabric in a Blog giveaway about a year ago. I blogged about it here.  I've had this sitting on my "favorites" shelf this whole time, dreading ever cutting into it. It was time. :p  It's just so sweet, and I can't wait to finish basting and start quilting today!

Have fun creating today. Please be sure to check my sidebar for buttons to all my favorite Linky Parties.

24 comments:

  1. That fabric is darling. I need to get brave one of these days and try my hand at some quilting. For some reason I've always felt intimidated by it. Thanks for your suggestion of using safety pins ~ you're right, so much easier on the hands! Thanks for sharing this with us at our Making Monday link party. Have a great week. Lori @ A Bright and Beautiful Life www.abrightandbeautifullife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit and comment. Quilting can be so much fun, I started out just playing on muslin "sandwiches" for practice, still do actually. There's so much to learn. Have a good day!

      Delete
  2. Love red and aqua together! Looks so fresh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the finished product is exactly that, refreshing and happy for spring. Thanks for taking the time to comment :)

      Delete
  3. Love that fabric! It is so happy and sweet! The pin photos from the both of us crack me up! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Me too. Thimbles or sewing needles next week? lol

      Delete
  4. I understand why you hung on to that fabric for a year deciding what to do with it - it's darling and looks fab in your quilt. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to be hard to let it go, if I ever do! Thanks for taking the time to comment :)

      Delete
  5. Such cute fabric. I look forward to seeing it after quilting. I found that anchoring the sandwich with tape or pins or clamps around the edges helps a lot to baste and quilt without getting pleats when I quilt them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used masking tape to secure the backing to my table. I need to find some clamps though to make it more environmentally friendly. Thanks for the idea!

      Delete
  6. Darling fabric and good tips on basting - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. I thought so too! I hope my quilting ideas will compliment them. Thanks for taking the time to write me :)

      Delete
  8. Love the fresh colours in the fabric, I can see why you didn't want to cut into it, I would have been the same!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was hard :p I am finding this project very refreshing as I move through each step. Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  9. Love the fabric. I really love using fabric panels to practice FMQ, after all the quilting is the best part of the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my first panel, but I love working on it already. :) Thanks for the visit.

      Delete
  10. It's going to be a lovely quilt; it has such friendly colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope it is pretty at the end :P Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  11. Stopping by from Freshly pieced linky party.. I wish I would have grabbed that panely, I think it was a xmas one., anyway, I love those colors, It will be nice to see what turns out, I never know what to do with the panels and I have a few.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Took awhile to come up with a plan for this one. Playing with some quilting is going to be fun. Thanks for stopping in :)

      Delete
  12. Looks beautiful Kelly and I use the same pins! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Connie! oh, and thanks for hosting your linky party! It's one of my favorites :)

      Delete

I really appreciate that you have taken the time to comment. I am so inspired by this community, thank you for that as well. If you have questions {even some suggestions}, I'll be sure to get back to you.

Go sew already! :)
Kelly