Friday, February 28, 2014

Guild Name Tag

I have finally been going back to my local quilt guild and they do a drawing each month if you have a name tag.   It still counts if you just stick on a piece of masking tape, but let's face it...that's not the point and it's NO FUN!  I slapped together something the morning of the last meeting that was so far below my perfectionist standards that I was embarrassed to wear it.

The front was okay, but the back demonstrates why I loathe machine sewn bindings. {I know they work great for some people and can look nice, but I loathe them for me}  I love the look of a hand sewn binding and nothing will change that...Witness my terrible attempt:



I knew I was going to have to put in some real effort and make something I could wear proudly in future meetings. The good news is that my husband and I will hit our 10 YEAR anniversary in March and the traditional gifts for 10 years happens to be tin/aluminum. My husband was very easy to convince {even if it may not be entirely accurate}that a Janome 350e embroidery machine contains aluminum or tin in some way.  haha!  I thought about getting something much newer and fancier, but in the end, it has the hoop size I need for the projects I like to do, and it takes a usb so I can use new designs.  I have never had an embroidery machine before either and wanted a good starter machine without spending a fortune.

My very first practice with the new machine came out lovely and I thought it was fitting to use it as my nametag as a keepsake :)

Not perfect, but at least I know I put more effort in.  The plus is I can always make a better one when I learn more about my new machine :)   Which makes me wonder, where do you get your embroidery designs?

21 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your 10th anniversary, you two! And congrats on the new machine, Kelly. Love your new name tag. That little machine is sew cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lorna. We are lucky to have grown even closer in the 10 years.

      Delete
  2. A very cute name tag. Congrats on the anniversary and on the new machine. We don't generally do anniversary presents in our house but as it's our 10 year anniversary soon maybe I should change that and start dropping some hints!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't make a big deal until this year, but I'm so glad we started a new tradition! I'm already thinking that 11 years must = Serger. hahaha Congrats on your 10 yr. too.

      Delete
  3. Cute name tag. What guild do you belong too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its the Gala Quilt Guild in Columbus Georgia. It's a sweet little group.

      Delete
  4. Happy Anniversary and new toy ~ I'm sure that there is aluminum in that machine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First, love the tag! and congrats on your new venture into machine embroidery. If you think quilting is addictive, well, just wait! LOL
    www.emblibrary.com always has freebies and sales. Great prices and masterfully digitized. then my next favorite is www.artisticthreadworks.com The design selection is very diverse and well digitized. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, if you have a business license, you can order thread and stabilizer from marathonusa.com. Prices are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The sewing machine is cute! Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting my little blog :)

      Delete
  8. I love this idea!! Thanks for sharing! Also thanks for adding my Tuesday Archives button to your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to start linking up with your blog.

      Delete
  9. I love the nametag. Been wondering how to make a nice tag, and cloth is a perfect answer. Perfect for your quilt guild. {:-Deb

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice, love the little sewing machine. Way better than a paper tag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Embroidery is already addicting! Thanks for visiting Ruth

      Delete
  11. Your tag is really lovely Kelly! :)

    Thank you for linking up to Fabric Frenzy Friday!
    -Lindsey
    Fabric Frenzy Friday

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate that you have taken the time to comment. I am so inspired by this community, thank you for that as well. If you have questions {even some suggestions}, I'll be sure to get back to you.

Go sew already! :)
Kelly