Friday, March 7, 2014

Quilts of Valor Block

After recently rejoining my local quilt guild, one of the first things I discovered is that they have become very active with Quilts of Valor.  If you have not heard of Quilts of Valor, please go to the official website and see what it is about....QOVF.org

Quilts of Valor and it's purpose, is especially meaningful for me.  My father retired from the Army after 22 years of service, and my husband has just hit his 11th year in the Army and is still going strong.  There are guidelines to making these quilts to be sure that every soldier and/or veteran has something special to comfort them.

Every month at the guild meeting they give out a BOM {block of the month} and at the next meeting you bring it back finished.  Then there is a drawing and someone will win the collection of blocks.   Well, last month they decided to make the block theme all about Quilts of Valor.  They asked that we make the BOM and then make an extra block to donate.


I couldn't wait to get started.  It turned out to be an extremely simple block, but sometimes the ease of a simple block can be soothing. The best part is that I found this whole stack of red, white, and blue nickel squares on the back of my fabric shelf.

All I needed were some 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" pieces and a 4 1/2" center square. One for each block.

A layout.


A proud finish!  lol  These were fun. I can't wait to see the collection of blocks at the guild meeting.  Everyone will have used their own fabrics so it is always fun to see all of the finished blocks together.


Thanks for looking today!  Please check my sidebar for my favorite linky parties.

~Kelly~




25 comments:

  1. That's a great block! Simple and striking. A quilt made of a bunch of these would be a great place to showcase some fancy quilting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Im excited to see all of ths blocks :)

      Delete
  2. What great colors. It's alway extra special making a quilt with such a good purpose. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit! I hope whoever receives the finished quilts will love them

      Delete
  3. Thank you very much for this simple, striking block. I pulled fabric, cogitated, looked and then your blog popped up at Richard and Tanya's and now I have found the one I like. I will bump it up to a 10 by 10 by increasing the size a bit and I hope to get it to a ten by ten without too much complication.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so fun! I am always finding great ideas from hopping around blogs. I'm glad yoj stopped by. :) Goodluck with your quilt and block size.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks so much Connie :) They were fun to sew,

      Delete
  5. You did an awesome job with those blocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ty Michele. They were pretty simple but sewing is fun no matter what :)

      Delete
  6. I just love the name of your blog and always have to drop in to see what you are up to! These blocks are simple but great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Valerie! I get to see the whole group of them this weekend. I can't wait!

      Delete
  7. Your blocks look great. And I love the idea of the Quilts of Valor :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I hope they all bring comfort to soldiers who need it.

      Delete
  8. Great block. Something easy to sew together for the days when you need to just sew. And for such a good cause.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Somedays you just need to lose yourself mindlessly in a project. :)

      Delete
  9. Sounds like you are really enjoying the guild, Kelly! Nice! Love those blocks. It is great to use up some bits you already had waiting for a project to come along. And for such a wonderful cause!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a neat idea for a block drawing and a group QOV. Beautiful blocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that it ends up being enough for 2 quilts! Thanks for stopping by Jasmine

      Delete
  11. Great blocks, the fabrics work so well together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your blocks are lovely! I am sure they will look awesome with all the other blocks! :)

    Thank you for linking up to Fabric Frenzy Friday!
    -Lindsey
    Fabric Frenzy Friday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and hosting the linky

      Delete
  13. I love it! They will make a fabulous QOV!! Thank your father and your husband for their service. They are appreciated!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate that you have taken the time to comment. I am so inspired by this community, thank you for that as well. If you have questions {even some suggestions}, I'll be sure to get back to you.

Go sew already! :)
Kelly