Sunday, April 20, 2014

Grace Quilting Frame

Big News!!  After quilting the California King quilt on my Janome 1600p {smushed all up on my table}  I was able to convince my hubby that I am NOT spoiled enough and needed a quilting frame.

There were a lot of specifics, business related ideas, and eventually {after 2 minutes of talking}  He agreed!!

I ordered the Grace King Frame. It works with my Janome 1600p, so I didn't need to commit to buying a full longarm setup.   I didn't realize that the space commitment was the same either way.

 It came 2 days after I placed the order, which was impressive! I grabbed a fresh cup of coffee, put the kids play shoes on, and setup myself up in the garage for the build.


Kids and boxes are like cake and icing. Or something crazy like that.


So after about 5 hours on  Day 1, it was bedtime and dark and my thumb was numb from the allen key. This was how the parts pile looked.


The next day, building between preschool drop offs and Two year old naptimes, and we had this:

UM.  Where was the memo that 133 inches long meant the WHOLE garage!!  Its large and intimidating.  I was getting scared at this point.  I tend to jump into things like this without thinking it through.  Like the time that we had 7 fishtanks setup all over the house.

I think this will have a different outcome. Quilting is my passion. It's a business decision. It's super cool!!  This was my mantra as I built the rods and tried to figure out the leader cloths.

Sorry for the murky photo. It was dark by the time I was able to try out some practice quilting. There is a learning curve to getting the tension right. The height of the take up bar was giving me some issues. I will blog more later about the actual quilting on this frame. 

Here's a little preview of my practice quilting.  Don't mind the cats. They volunteered. ;)
It went pretty smoothly, until it didn't.  

Thanks for letting me share my stories.  Please check my sidebar for my favorite Linky Parties!

~Kelly~



16 comments:

  1. So many pieces....yikes. it's a good thing you are young with a sharp mind....:) Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was soooo many pieces! Unfortunately, I'm stuck trying to figure out some skipped stitches. I think it is the needle size. Trial and error. :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing your experience. What was your thread? I am a new long armer. I have been told that Glide is a great thread. I find that it tends to shred. I am looking for a different thread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use king tut(on top) and so fine in the bobbin...both from Superior Threads...love them!! Val from myplvl.blogspot.com

      Delete
  3. Ohhh myyyy! Congratulations! You will have fun with that. Also, congrats on getting the thing put together. The piles o' pieces look a bit intimidating, but you did it! If stitches are skipping you might check to make sure the quilt sandwich is level front to back? I had a grace frame at one point, and had to adjust the height of the take up bar with every roll of the quilt. (Another think I learned...make sure the sandwich is not pulled too tight.) I'm sure you will figure everything out in short order. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *thing* not *think* Ha! Maybe *think* works just as well!

      Delete
  4. How exciting for you! A bit daunting to begin with perhaps...but oh the fun you will have!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your new frame. I am new to long arm quilting and just got my machine Nov 2013. Such a big learning curve from using a domestic but it is so much fun. Happy Quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. woohoo!! you are going to be so happy with that. I envision all sorts of quilty goodness flying off that frame. I've had my setup for 2 years, and still get excited every time I use it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I remember when I first got my longarm....so exciting...but yes so intimidating too!! CONGRATS! I'm going to enjoy watching your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've only seen 1 long arm in real life and when I saw it I asked if they had come and set it up and fine tuned it and everything and the answer was a flat no! For that set up I had just assumed it was so - a lot of work but worth it in the end. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. takes up a bit of space doesn't it - so now you will be quilting in the garage? I hope it will be comfortable - you know not too hot in the summer and not too cold in the winter. I am lucky with my 3 roller hand quilting frame when i bought it - it was delivered and set up for no extra fee of course that was 14+ years ago - it takes up one whole wall in the sewing room - but it is in the house so I am happy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! How exciting! And only 2 minutes of talking? You are good! The kitties look happy with your test run, Kelly! Can't wait to see just what you will be able to do with this baby!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks awesome. Congratulations and good luck working out your little thread issue.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck with the quilting frame. I've had mine for 5.5 years and still love it. I use a 1600P as well and have it set up where I have to do very little fiddling with it. It takes a lot of practice, so have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh wow! that is really big, but it looks like you're already getting acquainted with it. I dream of a huge studio for all of my sewing stuff one day! have fun learning how to use it!

    Thanks so much for linking up to Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate that you have taken the time to comment. I am so inspired by this community, thank you for that as well. If you have questions {even some suggestions}, I'll be sure to get back to you.

Go sew already! :)
Kelly