Sunday, May 11, 2014

A quilter sewing clothes...

I don't know about any of you other quilters out there, but sewing clothes scares me.  I have been making bags, wallets, and all kinds of quilted knick-knacks for years, but the thought of sewing clothing is making my brain shut down.

It doesn't help that I started my first ever pair of shorts by trying to draft a pattern myself.
 Let's just jump in the deep end.   The end result was shorts that fit so well that I ripped them when I was taking them off!!!!  hehe.

NO. There's not a photo to prove it. I had a good laugh about it, while also feeling pretty discouraged.  My mom, who always has the right answer {or googles one for me} told me to go buy a pattern.  She was right, of course.  There's a great sale on patterns at Joann's this week so I went and grabbed some.  I'm going to make shorts today and see how it goes. The pattern is a little scary in it's current form, but patterns I can handle...



The biggest issue is the fabric choices.  I KNOW what fabrics I can use in a quilt or bag. I've been learning for a long time about what I can work with. All of the stretchy knits are new to me, and intimidating.  

Rant/Whining over.  I am going to man up! Turn on some project runway re-runs and get my sew on!

I'll post some pictures later in the week of my scary new adventure.

Here's some pictures of my table runner finish for my friend Shauna.  I'm loving the texture of the zig-zags.
 You aren't seeing double. I made two of them at Shauna's request! lol



Thanks for looking.
Please visit my sidebar for my favorite linky parties

~Kelly~

6 comments:

  1. Best of luck on your garment sewing. I found that the hardest part is figuring out what size to use. Here's some tips: Check the finished garment measurements and make a test run on some scraps. Hope your new adventure turns out well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, sewing a garment the first time is scary. Getting a pattern was good advice. And Jessica has shared some good advice in her comment, too. You can do this, Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's so funny - i'm exactly in the same spot - dying to sew some clothes and no idea how and what...
    my only advice is to start with something that can work with any fabric and does not have the fitting problem - like a wrap skirt.
    i chose http://www.sewmamasew.com/category/sew-alongs/wrap-skirt-sew-along/ to start with, and it's almost done too, just need to find the courage to cope with 1 buttonhole ....
    good luck !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learned to sew by making clothes. It is such a different process than quilting! Good for you for taking the plunge (I still hate sewing together the crotch of shorts/pants).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Kelly,
    Congratulations on having a go. Failures are all part of the game. It's all sewing, so if you can quilt there is no reason you can't make clothes.
    I'm doing some dressmaking at the moment, and you can find loads of dressmaking info on my blog - French seams, felled seams, etc. - take a look!
    Love from England,
    Muv

    ReplyDelete
  6. SCAM ALERT!!! RIPPER ALERT!!!
    ICQ 614316488 is big scammer/ripper. He ripp me $400. Don't deal with him.
    http://dumpspinuk.96.lt/USA-DP/ is scam site
    http://atm-dumps-pin.blogspot.com/ is scam site
    icq 614316488 RIPPER, icq 614316488 RIPPER, icq 614316488 RIPPER,

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate that you have taken the time to comment. I am so inspired by this community, thank you for that as well. If you have questions {even some suggestions}, I'll be sure to get back to you.

Go sew already! :)
Kelly